Monday, October 19, 2009

Send Her to the Dog Crate



"Heather go to your crate," is a phrase I use a lot when dealing with my daughter. Does it sound like I am being excessive with my punishment? Actually, Heather is my 2 year old Labrador Retriever, and being in her dog crate is actually relaxing for her.

Many dog owners never crate train their dogs. If done correctly crate training your dog gives her a feeling that she is in her den, making it a safe comfortable place for her to be. Obviously, one should be aware of a dog's needs and not over do crate time or associate it with a negative behavior. It is also one of the best ways to house break a dog.

Tips to keep in mind:
1. Pick the right size. Choose a crate that is big enough for your dog to stand up and turn around, but not so big she can go potty in one corner and lay down in the other.

2. Make it positive. Use treats and praise to get your pet to enter.

3. Be aware of your dog's needs. Ease into leaving your dog in her dog crate for longer periods of time, being aware that puppies especially need to go out to relieve themselves frequently.

2 comments:

  1. Great tips on crate training and thanks for participating in the Puppy In Training Blog Carnival. I use the same words with my dog "Stetson go to your crate" He's totally comfortable in his crate and will sometimes choose his crate over jumping up and sleeping on the bed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment. I have had fun participating in the carnival and look forward to continuing my contributions when I feel I have written a post that's worthy of adding to your great carnival.

    ReplyDelete

All Comments are Moderated. Please provide useful comments and information. SPAM comments will be deleted.